Originally constructed in 1915 for Emil Bach, a co-owner of the Bach Brick House Company, the home had been sold several times, and suffered from exterior and interior modifications by subsequent owners. It was declared a Chicago Landmark on September 28, 1977, and then added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places on January 23, 1979.
In 2006, Cordos was undertook the first phase of restoring the home to its original condition. Working from an exhaustive historical survey by Dahlberg Associates, the restoration included the removal of all added drywall and restoring original or installing new plaster, restoring and re-fabricating original beech wood floors, windows, doors, lighting fixtures, built-in furniture and trim, exterior fascias, masonry, planters, and many other interior and exterior features. Likewise, Cordos reconstructed the kitchen and bathrooms to their original size, configurations, and finishes based on original drawings. To bring the house up to current design standards and building codes, CDA also installed comprehensive new plumbing, HVAC and electrical systems.
In 2013, Cordos began the final phase of historical restoration, which included a new geothermal bore field, re-moving a subsequent 2nd floor enclosed porch, extensive replacement of brick and ornamental cement copings, re-facing the entire exterior with cement plaster, restored walnut windows and doors, redwood exterior trim, a new chimney, and new interior built-ins. The project was completed in 2014.